วันศุกร์ที่ 22 ตุลาคม พ.ศ. 2553

Cucumelon Sticks

Cucumelon Sticks?

I came across a story the other day about how a woman in Australia accidentally cross-pollinated her crenshaw melons and cucumbers and ended up with an odd, tasty cucumber-shaped yellowish fruit. I even saw a picture of her eating one of her prizes, rind and all, and could tell from her expression that she had stumbled upon a real treat.

I had always thought such a cross was possible, and now have the evidence. Since it's too late in 2010 for me to try it, look for 2011 to be the year of the introduction of Baxter's famous watermelon cukes. For the first year, I hope for several qualities in these hybrids. First, I'd like the watermelon cuke to be of reasonable size (in other words small enough to eat without the need for cutting). I'd also like the meat to be red or at least pink, and though I don't imagine they'll be as sweet as I'd like the first year, I do hope they're pleasant in that regard and crunchy as well. I hope for an edible rind and soft cucumber like seeds that go down the gullet barely noticed. The obvious strategy will be to pollinate from the melon flowers to the cucumber plants and hope for the best in terms of miniaturization, though I do plan on trying it the other way around as well to see what happens..

If I can achieve that much during the first year, I'd be delighted. I also will be working with other melons and cucumbers to see what delicious freaks of nature we cam contrive. But mostly someday I want to prefect Baxter's watermelon cuke: a cucumber sized juicy, sweet watermelon with soft seeds that you can eat out of hand, rind and all. Just imagine the hit they'll make at picnics, barbeques, and gala affairs like the Fourth of July. Kids will love them, and I know you will too!

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:

แสดงความคิดเห็น